The Chelsea Housing Authority (CHA) is committed to providing a full-range of safe, secure, suitable, and appropriate affordable housing opportunities to extremely low, very-low, and low-income family, elderly, and disabled households in a fair manner. The CHA is committed to assisting residents who are moving from welfare-to-work with affordable housing opportunities that do not act as disincentives to economic advancement. The CHA is committed to deconcentrating poverty within its federal conventional public housing developments and attempting and support wider access to affordable housing opportunities throughout the entire community. The CHA is committed to fair and non-discriminatory practices throughout all of its housing programs and activities
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
1) To provide a fair, equitable, non-arbitrary procedure for resident selection which takes into consideration the needs of individual applicants for public housing, and the statutory purpose in developing and operating socially and financially sound public housing developments which provide a decent home and a suitable living environment and foster economic and social diversity in the resident population as a whole.
2) To provide a fair, equitable, non-arbitrary procedure for transferring residents from one CHA owned unit to another.
3) To assure that no discrimination on the basis or race, creed, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, sex, sexual preference, disability or handicap is practiced in the selection or assignment of applicants, or in transferring residents.
4) To avoid concentrations of the most economically and socially deprived families in any one or all of the Authority’s low-income housing developments.
5) To preclude admission of applicants who may be expected to have a detrimental effect on the residents or the environment of the housing development.
6) Subject to the requirements and limitations of federal regulations, within a reasonable period of time, to attain a resident population in each development composed of residents with a broad range or incomes and rent paying ability that is generally representative of the range of incomes of lower income rental families in the City of Chelsea.